Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Flute Lesson #1

For me, this was a big leap forward.

Having not played my flute for months (likely closer to two years...) I was nervous about my lesson. 

On top of that, my instructors husband was there (playing in front of people makes me very nervous).

"Be brave! Make this worth it!" I told myself while unpacking my flute.

It's been long enough since I played that I forgot scales, and fingering for several notes. Each time I fought my urge to feel humiliated - "You're here to learn," I reminded myself. Then I forced myself to ask for help.

This paid off the most when she told me to push more air through my flute (which I've heard before) and I asked her what that actually means - what the balance between diaphragm and embouchure. That lead to an explanation that finally made sense to me.

So here's to leaps forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment