Pages

Friday, February 6, 2015

Education and Fun in Little Rock

When I was in my first year of grad school I decided to go try to go back to the National Council on Family Relations Conference with my classmate and professor from undergrad. Luckily we were all excepted and able to go!

That lead to a trip to Little Rock, Arkansas :)

On the ride from the airport we were introduced to the Arkansas River. Or the Big Ditch, as the cab driver called it:


Once we made it to The Peabody Hotel, we found out they had this strange tradition. Every day they set up some red carpet and steps and select...



...an honorary duck master. They have the duck master ride the elevator down with a sting of ducks up the red carpet. The ducks walk up the red carpet, and then continue up the steps alone and spend the rest of the day swimming in the hotel lobby fountain.


Katherine is from the mid-west and was SO EXCITED about the BBQ. It was delicious. And there was a lively debate about what mid-western state does BBQ best/ right. I just enjoyed the tastiness :)


We went on a walk one evening along the river and found some great gems. I still love bridges:


I thought this was an ingenious sculpture - I had to touch it. Metal kind of blows my mind sometimes.


Along the rivers edge there was this cool "Medical Mile" that had health tips - it was great. It was also likely especially cool to me as someone who was studying Urban and Environmental Policy and Planning & Child Development and as someone who has an interest in social education.



And, of course, there was the "main" reason we went - presenting information and connecting with others in similar fields! I was pretty proud of the work I did in putting this poster together and enjoyed talking to others about my work and their work.


After the presentations were done, we had some time to do some exploring. A few of us decided to go visit President Clinton's Presidential library. It was the first one of a currently living US President that I had visited.

There was a neat motorcycle exhibit that I think my Dad would really have liked. And while, I can't say that I'm a huge Bill Clinton fan, I loved the quote below that was posted from his first inaugural address - despite it's faults, America really is a pretty great place!


Right around the corner from out hotel/ convention center was the Old State House - it has a pretty neat museum inside, or at least if you're the nerdy history loving type it's pretty great. Perfect way to end the trip to Little Rock - learning about Arkansas history!

No comments:

Post a Comment