Pages

Friday, June 12, 2015

Famous Faces in South Dakota

Another Family Road trip stop!

The history of America, and history in general, has always fascinated me. I think that's part of the reason I loved stops like this on our family trips. A chance to see a piece of history. An opportunity to come to better understand the past. Gaining insight into the people involved. And in this particular situation it was extra interesting to me because not only did I get to learn more about some of the Presidents of the United States of America, I also got to learn about the man who carved them larger than life.

While I don't remember all the details, of what I read and learned, I remember loving learning many details about the sculpture of Mount Rushmore. And seeing the larger than life Presidents faces was incredible!


This year as I prepared to host a Poetry Reading event for Family Home Evening in my Single's Ward, I read an article on the history of Mormons in the arts and re-learned that Gutzon Borglum, who sculpted Mount Rushmore (which was finished by his son after Gutzon's death) was a Mormon.

I honestly can't remember if I saw National Treasure II before or after visiting Mount Rushmore, but I do remember thinking how inconceivable it was that people could be up on and around those faces. But it would be awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment