Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Lady Liberty

When my mom came to visit me in New York, one of the only things she had on her must do list was seeing the Statue of Liberty.

Since I had still not into the Statue of Liberty, we decided to go. Unfortunately, the tickets for the crown were already sold out, so we settled for going to the pedestal and Ellis Island instead.
Lady Liberty was in fine form. We got lots of great pictures on our way over, there, and as we rode the ferry away:  





The museum and information in the pedestal was more informative and enjoyable than I anticipated. I loved learned about the size and scale of the statue:








There were also some cool sculptures that we found as we walked the perimeter of Liberty Island

I had no idea that the original torch is no longer on display outside, but inside the Statue of Liberty – I suppose it makes sense since the original torch was lit by gas. And it is beautiful:


My mom and I got the obligatory tourist selfie with Lady Liberty before we headed over to Ellis Island:

I still want to make it up to the crown, but I’m grateful for the opportunity I had to explore the pedestal (and if you are planning a trip yourself, I highly recommend going early – it’s great not to have to fight quite so big a crowd!)

No comments:

Post a Comment