Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Manhattan Bridges #11 & 12: Triborough (RFK) and Willis Ave

What better way to spend a Sunday afternoon than walking from island to island and back again via bridges?

I know how to make it better! Talk to your family while on the journey.
 
That's exactly what I did. After Church, I headed on the cross town bus east on 125th and walked from 2nd Ave over to Randall's Island.






 
While I was crossing the Triborough Bridge, I realized how close the Willis Ave bridge from the Bronx into Manhattan is, and that it ends about where I would get back on the bus to head home.



So, after taking a few pictures:





I headed over another bridge into the Bronx:




My brother told me about his final preparations to go serve a mission for our Church in Germany, and I found some street art indicating others have a testimony of God as well



At the end of the Willis Bridge, there was a great plaque that told me the history of this bridge, which was the first connection by bridge from Manhattan to the Bronx and used to be swing bridge operated by steam power and 6 workers. There was two way traffic on the bridge and there used to be a tram crossing here. Now it is only one way traffic for cars, and two way for bikes and pedestrians.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment