Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2015

White Water.... Surfing?

One of the things that seemed unlikely to happen before my birthday was my goal to go white water rafting. I had resigned myself to this fact (mostly) and was brainstorming ideas for what do to instead, and when I can get around to going white water rafting about the time another, similar, opportunity came along... to go surfing!

I'm not going to lie - when my roommate Amanda told me she wanted to go surfing for her birthday, and that she wanted me to join her, I was a bit terrified. In fact, I had recently told someone that surfing wasn't for me - too scary. But, I heard myself say, "Yea, I'm totally in - let's do it!" (sound anything like skydiving to anyone?)
 
We went to the beach early and both of us calmed our fears as we got in the water and realized the waves didn't seem TOO crazy, and I was convinced we'd be fine when I saw the lifeguards fly into action and swim out to a man who was having a little trouble in the water. If they could do it for him, they could do it for me!
 
The time finally came for our lesson. We spent a bit of time on the sand on the board practicing "popping up" which sounds kind of easy, but is kind of like doing a sideways burpee all in one movement while staying in the middle of the board with your legs far enough apart (too close is bad, too far apart is workable) and not too far back (so the board doesn't come up and hit you in the face) in a squat (lower is better) with your feet parallel to each other and perpendicular to the board, AND get your arms out.
 
Amanda asked if there was an alternative if we couldn't do all that at the same time, and he told us we could do it the "slow" three step way and get on our knees and then put one foot out and then the other foot out.
 
Once we got in the water and the board was slippery and there were waves pummeling me I realized that the "slow" three step method was going to be my best option. Which worked in many ways - such as being told that my stance was good "once you are up" but didn't necessarily help me make the most of the waves or my time up on the board.
 
Selfie Post Surfing
Me with the surf board
 
Amanda with our instructor - he looks like a surfer dude!

But, hey, I got up! And I had a few good runs. And maybe the best part - I would definitely do it again. I'm glad I faced that fear and enjoyed that adventure!
 

 
After our lesson we walked through a craft fair to dry off a bit before taking the train home. Then I finally understood why the kites I'd seen on the beach had been flying all afternoon - they were tied to the rail by the booth selling kites :)
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment