Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Tennessee

When I was eleven my family went to Disneyland and the day we got home, my parents put me on a plane headed east to spend the rest of the summer in Tennessee.

The only other time I had flown was when I was nine months old. I was terrified. And, it really did end up being a traumatic experience: My dad had booked me a window seat, which I really enjoyed – I’m one of those people that likes to see what is going on, especially if I feel a little nervous about it (like when they draw blood, I have to watch them put the needle in). For take of, and the majority of the flight, it was perfect for me to be sitting by the window.

When they came down the aisle offering drinks, I was very excited to get a Sprite, it was a special treat in my home to have pop, and I was going to make the most of it. This was back in the day when they still gave you the whole can on flights. Well, we hit turbulence. A good amount of that Sprite ended up in my lap. I was so embarrassed. In my eleven-year old mind, the only thing I could possibly do is climb over the sleeping man next to me, get to the bathroom and somehow remove the sticky wetness from my lap.

Of course, as soon as I tried to climb over him, my seat mate woke up – with me and my wet self in midair over him. I was too scared, and embarrassed, to explain the situation, so I just whispered to him that I needed to get to the bathroom, and (I hope) mumbled an apology. Looking back, I’m sure he was sure I had wet myself because I didn’t want to wake him up!

After that rough start, I began what turned into a memorable summer with my Grandpa Todd, his wife Elizabeth, and her daughters son Richie who they had adopted (making him my uncle, who was at least three years younger than me.

A few memorable stories:

Grandpa bought Richie and me season passes to their local amusement park, Opryland and took us there 2-3 times a week. Richie loved riding their river ride, and especially loved it when we ended up soaking wet. I didn’t mind, because it was very hot that summer – but I never stopped surprising me how long it took to dry out since it was so humid. My favorite ride was Hangman’s Noose – it was a hanging roller coaster that went upside down many times and looped back inside itself. Sometimes we rode it back to back, running from the exit to get back in line. Besides loving that ride, I remember it so clearly because a) there was a cute boy who we ended up riding it with over and over one day and b) once I got back home later that summer, it was on the news because the ride got stuck and a few people were stuck upside down on it for hours. I was both glad it wasn’t me, and kinda wished it had been at the same time.


While overall I did have a fun summer, there were also some challenges, especially with Richie. He wasn’t always glad I was there. He made some poor, and gross decisions in showing his displeasure. Like the time he went to the bathroom first when we got home – no big deal, except that he peed all over the toilet thinking I’d go in and sit on it. Maybe that’s just what “brothers” do – and if so, I’m even more grateful for mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment