Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Peaceful Vermont

I loved when my father was able to visit me during one of his business trips. Whether it was planned, or unexpected, it was always nice to have a chance to catch up, and to have some home away from home.

During one of his trips to Boston, we decided to drive up to Sharon, VT. There is a visitor’s center and a monument commemorating the birthplace of the prophet Joseph Smith.

The details of that drive, and our time at the visitor’s center, is fuzzy for me. But, I know I enjoyed spending the time with my father, and being in that beautiful, peaceful place.

I also enjoyed going back for ward campouts each year I lived in Boston. These added to the fond memories I have of sitting around campfires, night walks through nature, carefree afternoons playing games and swimming, and meeting new friends as we’re all thrown into different surroundings than normal.


One afternoon, we piled into a few cars and drove to the Ben & Jerry ‘s factory for a tour (complete with ice cream tasting!). I don’t remember much of anything about the tour, but I do remember something from a conversation I had with one of the people in my car. He asked me about the “Hidden Gems” I had found in the Boston area so far. And by “Hidden Gems” he wanted to know the places and things that made me happy, or that most people would overlook. It was a neat perspective, and I have thought of it from time to time and used it as a reminder to focus on the good things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment